13th century Ramparts

Les-remparts-Vouvant-(2)

he reconstruction of the original fortress was undertaken  by the Lusignan family, Barons of Vouvant.   Only the keep known as « the Melusine tower » , one of the town gates, and the ramparts remain. History has adapted from legend the name of Geoffroy »Big tooth », a fierce warrior, greedy for power, who thought nothing of attacking abbeys and monasteries to had to his wealth. According to the legend, he was the son of the fairy Mélusine, half woman, half serpent, who built the castle including the tower in one night in 1242 with « three apron-full of stones and a mouthfull of water »
The castle was left to become a ruin. In the XIX th century what remained was razed for the ground in order to make a good site for a fairground.Climb to the very  top to  appreciate how strategic it is to the defence of the village.
The key  of the tower is available at the Tourism office and at the café Mélusine.

La-tour-Melusine-Vouvant-(1)

In the XIII  century, Vouvant  is well protected by  ramparts and about 30 towers.
The fortifications are still well maintained on both private and public properties.

The ramparts are very impressive on the West part , but much lower on the South part where they were supposed to be doubled.
They are partly skirted by  a lane « chemin des rangis ». Rangis is the name given to the ladders  used by the assailants. Since 2015, the Melusine tower  and the ramparts bear the blazon of Geoffroy of Lusignan (1150-1224) , lord of Vouvant.

One could enter the city through 3 gates : Coming from the Romanesque bridge was the « Porte aux Moynes » . A second gate « Porte Bouguerin » was located between the Melusine tower and the « Château de la recepte » . The third one is the only remaining town gate , called « la Poterne »

la-tour-Melusine-Vouvant1

La-poterne-Vouvant