13th century Ramparts
The castle was left to become a ruin. In the XIX th century what remained was razed for the ground in order to make a good site for a fairground.Climb to the very top to appreciate how strategic it is to the defence of the village.
The key of the tower is available at the Tourism office and at the café Mélusine.
In the XIII century, Vouvant is well protected by ramparts and about 30 towers.
The fortifications are still well maintained on both private and public properties.
The ramparts are very impressive on the West part , but much lower on the South part where they were supposed to be doubled.
They are partly skirted by a lane « chemin des rangis ». Rangis is the name given to the ladders used by the assailants. Since 2015, the Melusine tower and the ramparts bear the blazon of Geoffroy of Lusignan (1150-1224) , lord of Vouvant.
One could enter the city through 3 gates : Coming from the Romanesque bridge was the « Porte aux Moynes » . A second gate « Porte Bouguerin » was located between the Melusine tower and the « Château de la recepte » . The third one is the only remaining town gate , called « la Poterne »